Monday, March 16, 2009

Meghan McCain

Normally, I try my best to ignore Laura Ingraham, a conservative talk-show host. I find her offensive, one-sided, close-minded and stuck in an unrealistic world. That being said, when I read this article on CNN, I was shocked at the lows she sunk herself to.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/16/kiss-my-fat-ass-says-meghan-mccain/
http://www3.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-03-14/the-politics-of-size/

She attacked John McCain's daughter, Meghan McCain, a blogger and the author of The Daily Beast, calling her “a Valley Girl gone awry” and a “plus-sized model.”
McCain responded explaining that she has been criticized for her weight since middle school. She suspects that the words from Ingraham come on the heels of her critique of Ann Coulter. (
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-03-09/my-beef-with-ann-coulter/)
I can’t believe that Ingraham would stoop so low, attacking a critic for her body size. This is such an ingrained part of the media today, and it frightens me. Just as McCain said, it’s frightening to think about what this type of action says about our society and the media which portrays it. McCain is an educated, intelligent person with things to say. That alone would be reason to respect her. On top of that though, clearly, people want to listen. It’s wonderful that she has the opportunity to speak with an audience. (It’s what I’m doing right here). Why make yourself appear foolish, when the adult thing to do is to listen and then respond in the correct environment. That’s the point of debate.
While my views are very different than McCain's, I respect her, perhaps more than most other in the conservative political scene. She is working towards more open political discourse, something I firmly believe in. And for that I would give her the time of the day.
One thing that does bother me about McCain is that just before the election, she announced that she was moving from an Independent to a Republican. While this is a typical Washington action, I think we need to move away from this. No more “flip flopping,” no more jumping across the line. It’s the labels. They are so unnecessary. Why do we have to be Conservative, Liberal, somewhere in between? And more importantly, why does there only have to be two main parties? No two people will think exactly alike, I don’t have the same views on every single issue as anyone else out there.
General frustration on this…

No comments:

Post a Comment